What We Do
The Lexington Ronald McDonald House serves families of children 21 years and under that are being treated by local hospitals. Up to four immediate family members may stay in a room. Because of space limitations, only one room is available per family.
Hospitals / Medical Centers
The Ronald McDonald House currently receives referrals from the following Hospitals / Medical Centers:
Kentucky Children’s Hospital
St. Joseph East
Cardinal Hill Rehab
Gill Heart Institute
The Ridge Behavioral Health System
Kentucky Eye Clinic
Families staying at the Lexington Ronald McDonald House for the first time must be referred by a physician or hospital personnel.
- Check in & Check Out: The House does not take advance reservations. If you're interested in staying with us, talk to your doctor or hospital staff about securing a room. They will call us with a referral the day the room is needed.
Families may check in between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. When possible, guests are asked to give staff a 24-hour notice prior to check-out. Families may check-out between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm on the day they leave to go home.
- Required Documentation: Guests and visitors over the age of 18 will be asked to present a photo ID and be willing to submit to a background check. There are no exceptions to the photo ID rule.
- Cost: A suggested donation of $10 is charged if families can afford to pay.
- Children: Both indoor and outdoor play-spaces are available for our young guests. However the House does not provide baby-sitting services, so parents are responsible for supervising their children whenever they are in the House or on the grounds. No child under the age of 18 may be left unattended.
- Chores: To help the House run smoothly, all rooms are assigned a daily chore to be done by someone staying in that room.
- Events: Guest events such as game night, story time, animal therapy, or craft time are offered periodically at the Ronald McDonald House. Families are encouraged to participate whenever possible.
- Kitchen Facilities: All families are provided with a small refrigerator and a locked cabinet space to store dry goods. A large kitchen and dining area allow ample room for all our guests to make themselves at home. Families may choose to cook or enjoy the meals prepared by our volunteers.
- Laundry Facilities: Washers and dryers, as well as detergent and bleach, are provided.
- Quiet Hours: Families are asked to respect quiet hours between 11 pm and 8 am.
- Smoke-free Environment: No smoking or use of any tobacco products is allowed inside the House. Smoking is allowed on designated outdoor patios.
- Transportation: Van transportation is provided to and from local hospitals three times per day (subject to availability of volunteer drivers).